Lilypie Countdown to Adoption tickers

Monday, July 20, 2009

tall poppy syndrome

Please, allow me to rant.

Most people who know me, know that I love talking about my adoption. It makes me happy. I'm excited and nervous and scared and excited and.... all of the things one might expect from anyone becoming a new parent. Conversations about my adoption will, many times lead to a wider conversation about adoption (in general.) I love having these conversations too. There is so much I have learned in the past year. So many things to consider. Such a broad world that I never gave much thought to before. Lets just say, to put it simply, my eyes have been opened. So, I have these conversations with people, and they might just be broad and general and quick. Sometimes they get a little deeper. It doesn't matter to me, I just like to talk about it.
But then, it happens. Not every time, but so many times. This person that I am speaking with, who is sharing in my joy for adoption and telling me how cool it is that we are doing this will get a little glint in their eye and, almost in the same breath, say to me, "(insert snide comment about Brad & Angelina and/or Madonna here.)" And they give me that look, you know, the one that says, "Right, my sister? Can I get a high-five?"

I'm sorry, what?

Ok, I know. We tear down celebrity in this society. Its just something we do. Is it because they are richer than us? Better looking? Is it simply because they are famous? All of the above, I'm sure. And frankly, I don't care. What I do care about, is how somebody can see this:

or this:
or this:
and not see simply what I see, which is parents loving their children. Instead they think; those assholes, who do they think they are? just trying to make themselves look good, that's all they're doing, they don't care about those children, its all for show, etc, etc...

Really? All for show? You really think that people adopt children for show? How interesting. I guess because they are famous, there is no way they could possibly have enough heart to love the children they have taken into their lives. Clearly it would be better for those children to have remained where they came from. In their orphanages. Where they would have the benefit and the privilege of living like this:


Well, at least until they are of adult age, upon which time they will be kicked out into the real world, where their emotional scars and lack of supportive upbringing will surly bring them a lifetime of lovely rewards, and then finally, may they find some peace when they die at the ripe old age of 45. If they're lucky. Yeah, that does sound better than having Madonna as a mom.

Ok listen, I don't lie awake at night worrying about how Madonna/Brad/Angie feel. I'm sure they're fine. What I worry about, and what this rambling is really all about, is how people view adoption. And I find it interesting that the strongest and loudest of opinions come from people who have never, and will never, consider adoption for themselves. And I say to you, honestly, I wish they would keep their uneducated, narrow minded opinions to themselves because they just don't know what the hell they're talking about. They don't think about how many orphans there are in the world. They don't think about the conditions these orphans live in. And they don't think about the children growing up in the foster care system in this country. But for some reason, they feel secure as they sit in judgment of those who do think about these things.

Do they really think that someone who does not care about and love children would go through the adoption process for show? And let me assure you, it is a process. My husband and I have been fingerprinted 3 times for various background checks. We have submitted 2 medicals forms for which we were assessed and tested for every possible communicable disease. We have been studied and grilled by 2 social workers, wherein we were asked questions about parenting that I guarantee you no parent who has given birth naturally has had to consider. Our home has been scrutinized. I have drawn a floor plan and written out our fire drill routine. We have filled out more paperwork than I ever could have imagined. Before our adoption is complete, a governing organization in Ethiopia will pour over every document and detail of our lives and issue an opinion of whether we are fit to parent a child of Ethiopia. And after that, a judge will make a final decision. Adoption is not easy. And you know what, its also not the answer to the orphan crisis. That is a whole other can of worms. But I know this. For every child adopted, that is one less child living in conditions we wouldn't wish upon our animals. For every child adopted, that is one more child loved, hugged, kissed, sung to at night, held when the bad dreams come, tickled, played with, educated and fed.

I'm not saying everyone should adopt. I'm not naive enough to think that this is a reasonable option for every family. And I'm certainly not disparaging having your family the old fashioned way. I think pregnancy and child-birth are beautiful, and there will always be a piece of me that hurts because I can't do this. What I am saying is this:

I have a problem with people who think celebrities shouldn't adopt.
And I have a problem with people that think gays shouldn't adopt.
And I have a problem with people who think singles shouldn't adopt.
And I have a problem with people who think you shouldn't adopt outside your race or ethnicity.
And I have a problem with 'people who don't adopt' that have judgmental opinions of 'people who do adopt.'

Why? Because adoption saves lives. No matter who is doing the adopting. And tell me exactly how it is that you could be against that?

Ok, thank you for reading and, of course agreeing with everything I have said :-)
Stepping off the soap box now. Please feel free to take a turn.

6 comments:

Cassandra Britt said...

WELL SAID!! Someone told me recently that our bio kids would need serious counseling to deal with having a sister from Ethiopia. WHAT? Loving a child who might not otherwise have a home, family, future is going to have a negative effect on our boys??
Thanks for your honest words.

Rebecca said...

Thank you! Why always the comments about Angelina Jolie? That is so annoying and frustrating. Also, the subtext that implies that you are adopting to be like Angelina Jolie or any other celebrity for that matter.
Then there are the questions about why you are adopting internationally and not domestically. People always tend to have an opinion even if they have never considered nor would consider adoption. And they are happy to share it with you.
I will try to compose an articulate and wonderful rant post akin to yours soon. It's definitely necessary to express this frustration.
I also need to work on my responses. When people ask about the adoption process I get stressed. It's like they never listen to me when I explain the process and are always making me explain it again. And how hard is it to remember that my child will be from Ethiopia???
I think it would be nice to have a top 100 list of stupid questions and appropriate responses. If nothing else it would give us something to laugh about together through our frustration.

Alex said...

Perhaps some of the anger directed at the high profile celebs is not based on the fact they adopt - but rather the ease with which they do so. Why should Angelina or Madonna's fame and/or money entitle them to instant adoption? If memory serves Madonna's first adoption included an epic two day vetting. Rich and famous means you are automatically a great parent? Observing the length of time good people languish on adoption wait lists the world over- and the ease with which some other wealthy folks leap frog them - you'd have to conclude that it must be true.

Now I know better than to get worked up over the advantages wealth provides for the rich in this world... but it doesn't mean I can't bitch a little. It seems all too often that the rich can adopt taking about as much trouble as most of us would to purchase a goldfish from the pet-store in the mall. Now I'm not saying that the ease of process has any impact at all on the type of parents they are (or how long our fish live). They may be wonderful parents (most rich parents are- right?). I'm just saying that for skipping to the front of the line: F**K THEM!

Thank you for allowing me and my organization a forum to express a counter-point.

Sincerely,
Dr. Banner, Sr.
President and CEO
Bitter and Jealous Ranters Society

Tam said...

Dear Dr. Banner,

While I appreciate your view point, may I respectfully say, I don't actually care what the ease of their adoption process may or may not have been. Sure, in a perfect world, rich people and us peons would have to take the same steps towards a successful adoption. But then, in a perfect world, children would not grow up without parents or homes or the basic necessities of life. This argument, to me, again, has more to do with people's hangups about rich famous people than children in need.

What I do care about is the fact that these rich famous people that have adopted have also done this:

https://www.raisingmalawi.org/index.php
and this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/18/angelina-and-brad-give-1-_n_217221.html
and this:
http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid61690.asp
and this:
http://www.makeitrightnola.org/

If you have way to much money, you should use it responsibly. And it seems they do.

Now send me your damn itinerary :-)

Alex said...

Because you agree that the rich shouldn't be able to jump in line, I'll agree with you 100%.

As to the reasons behind the constant Angelina attacks that you and Rebecca call into question: I think there are a lot of valid reasons people continue to doubt her. Many of us can remember her wanton ways and escapades prior to wearing Billy-Bob's blood vial around her neck, before she kissed her brother, before she she stole Brad from Jennifer, and -most importantly in the eyes of many -before she hired a consulting team to manage her press releases and image control. It was only after she began to pay the team six figures plus a year to manage public perception of her that she suddenly appeared on the international philanthropy scene.
That said - I am not one of those folks that doubt Angelina at all. I understand why others do- but I don't agree. I think Angelina has that rare mix (like Bono before her) of hyper-media exposure, ego, wealth, and good intentions which enable her to spend her money and time making the world a better place. More power to her. Brad, perhaps following Redford's example, used to keep all his charity work on the down-low. He gets more press now that he's with Angelina, but anyone who takes a stand for NOLA is aces in my book.
One thing we can all agree on: People who adopt are generally the best sort of people around.

Now if I can only convince you that we really landed on the moon.

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.